Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The One Where I Almost Pull My Hair Out

Day one of moving and we have already hit some snags...

~Got a call from our new property manager. She was confirming our meet up today to get the keys. And to let us know the work needing to be done on the home was almost done but the contractors needed to finish up tomorrow. She said not to worry, they have a key and can come in and finish up without bothering us. Uh....what? We were told she was the only one to have a key. And now she's handing it out to contractors. Yes they may be certified and licensed and she knows them but that is not going to make us feel any better sleeping in a house where we don't know if someone we don't know has made a copy of our key. So now we have to change the locks tonight (on our dime), give our property manager a copy of our new key and get up early tomorrow to let the contractors in to finish up the job. Not how I wanted to start this whole process.

~The weather is wicked. It's the middle of May and it's not even 70 degrees here in Vegas. Toss in some 50 MPH wind gusts (the regular wind is steady around 35 MPH) and some threatening thunderclouds and we have perfect moving conditions. Yay!

~Called ADT to transfer our service to the new place. When we got the service a year ago I made sure to ask about transferring it if when we move because I knew we wouldn't be in this place for the entire 3 year contract. We were told not a problem, it's a simple process. Well, simple if you subtract the fact you have to close out your first account, reopen a new account under the new address, be charged a reactivation fee of $99 and all of the extras we added on at the old place are not included. You can believe I raised high holy hell about all of that. So they are sending us a $100 Visa gift card to offset the $99 fee and we are getting all the extras we had added on transferred too.

~Called CenturyLink to set up new service with them at the old place. Cox is just getting too expensive. Now a bit of background here: we tried to get CenturyLink set up before. But the technicians were confounded by the SmartBox in this house and spent 6 hours huddled in our Master closet, muttering to each other. After all that we still didn't have any service. When we tried to reschedule we had a specific time but they showed up three hours early. I flipped out and canceled the whole thing. Well, we decided since we were moving into a new place we would try them again. I went through the whole process with the new sales person and they sympathized with my previous bad experience and knocked off some fees for my troubles. Got all the way to the end where they connect you with a third party to confirm the phone number you are transferring and the phone number they read back to me is wrong. The lady says "you'll have to call CenturyLink back" and hangs up on me, So I call them back and get through to someone again, explain everything that happened AGAIN and find out the account has been cancelled. WHAT?? The lady was very sweet and apologetic but I couldn't believe I had to go through everything again. I am currently waiting for her to call me back to confirm everything and if I don't hear from them in the next hour I am saying screw it. We are sticking with Cox. There is only so much I can take.

~Called our current property management company to find out about transferring the electric, gas, water, etc. Then we asked about getting our deposit back. The lady informed up when we bring all of our keys and clickers down to the office to turn them in we can set up a time for a walk-through and after the walk-through it takes about 3-4 weeks to get the check. No one has said anything to us about what we needed to do regarding handing over keys or anything and I believe if we hadn't called no one would have told us. Just another reason why I am glad we are getting out of this place. I only hope the new place is a bit better. The key/contractor issue has me a bit concerned.

I really hope the next couple days improve in the luck department. Because I am hanging on by a thread. I am trying to stay positive but with every set back and issue it is getting harder and harder.


3 Deposits in the Crazy Bin:

Lynda said...

When my house was being built, the contractors had skeleton keys that by some device on the lock, stopped working once they were done. Could the knobs have been anything like that?

Otherwise, I would take the new locks out of your rent. You shouldn't have to pay for that.

pogonip said...

After all that, something has to go right very soon. Just from the law of averages, don't you think? (Although you might want to have a stern talk with Mr. Murphy about his law first!)

Fraulein N said...

Ugh. Just ... ugh. Yeah, you definitely have some good luck due to come your way!