Sunday, July 24, 2011

The One With This And That

I have had a bunch of things bouncing around in my head for awhile. Time to do a bullet list!

~We are currently battling with our insurance company and the hospital Charming went to when we was ill due to the $4000 bills we have received. We are hoping for a reduction from the hospital or an increase in what the insurance will cover. We don't want to pay nothing, he did have the services after all, but we should have only paid $100 and then some for the doctor. I am thinking this will not go away any time soon and lawyers may get involved. Joy.

~And in the middle of all this medical bill crap our promissory note for the short-sale decided to kick in. We had been in a state of repose until Wells Fargo got their act together and sent the info to the housing insurance company. I would have been happy with another six to twelve months of not having to pay but no such luck. Wells Fargo sent in their information and now we have another $120 bill each month. Joy times two. Charming blames the fact we called them last month to give them our new address and they suddenly realized, hey we are not screwing them any more, let's make them pay when they can't afford it.

~Portia has started scratching her nose constantly with her back feet, like she has an incessant itchy nose. The problem is she uses her back claws and now has permanent gouges in and around her nose she is reopening with every scratch. I have tried putting bag balm on to ease the itching and the bleeding but since it is her nose she just licks it off. I am sure it is an allergy of some kind but can't figure out what it could be other than the carpet in the new house. I think I may have to take her to the vet to get a steroid shot or she is going to have no nose left.

~Also, the cats have begun crapping outside their litter box the day before I change it/scoop the poop. It's always on the mat right outside the box like they couldn't bear to go inside and do their business so they just did it in the next available spot. We get trash picked up twice a week so on Monday's I clean the box and on Thursdays I scoop out all the poop and sprinkle scented powder on the litter. They have never had a problem before. I would scoop it more often but I don't have anywhere to store the poop in between garbage days. And the garage would STINK if I put it out there in the heat. So I tried cutting back on their food a bit, not giving them as much dry. Which doubly works because Portia could benefit from dropping a pound or two. She is not overly fat yet but she could head that way. So far no poop outside the box...but it is trash day tomorrow, they still have some time.

~Went and saw Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and OH. MY. GOD. It was AMAZING! I wanted to turn around and see it again right away. Just the perfect conclusion to an incredible series. But I am also sad that it is all over now. I am going to miss Harry. He has been a part of my life longer than I have been with Charming.

~Speaking of movies, there are so many I want to see. But we can not afford at all to see any of them. We made an exception for Harry Potter because, well, it's Harry freakin' Potter and that needed to be seen. Even so, we saved up and made it an experience for both of us. But other films, like Friends With Benefits, Crazy, Stupid, Love and The Help (which I also read and was incredible) are a few that pop into my head, I will wait for DVD. I still have to see Black Swan and The King's Speech. I am seriously behind on my TV viewing.

~I wish I could be at Comic-Con this year. A lot of my favorite shows/movies/actors are there. Seeing it online is not quite the same.

~Work sucks. That's all I am going to say about that.

~We got to meet another blogger friend. Jen and her husband came to Vegas for a conference and we managed to cram a bunch of stuff in over the two days they were here. We had such a great time with them and hope they return soon! We have so much more to do with them. Jennifer is just as nice and sweet as I always knew she would be. So that is now my 9th Internet/blogger meet up that has been a success. But there are several more I would love to meet still!

~I have been on a reading frenzy. I blew through Lynsay Sands' Argeaneu series, all thirteen books, in about a month. I love being able to read so much but I know once the fall TV season starts up I will drop down again.

~I am itching to go to New York again and see some shows. And if the rumors prove true, and Darren Criss replaces Daniel Radcliffe in "How To Succeed..." I will be on a plane to NY so fast it will make your head spin.
~I am sure there is more but I am tired and I should probably tackle some things I have been neglecting. Namely the mountain of laundry in my family room.


5 Deposits in the Crazy Bin:

Holly {Artist Mother Teacher} said...

Gah. Hang in there lady.

Jen said...

Something many of my cat-owning friends do (which I don't) is save the empty plastic cat litter container (bucket or pourable "jug"). They scoop the refuse from the litter box right back into the container, and put the lid on, disposing of it when it gets full. Me, I prefer to have a stinky garage in between trash days. It's not that bad, doesn't last that long, and is only a bother in the summer months. Once it gets cooler it's not an issue. Our pickup is Wednesdays & Saturdays, and it really doesn't get bad til about the day before- and that's with four cats and three dogs. When I have them, I save the empty dog/cat food bags, which are huge, so I'm able to put the smaller bags of dog & cat poop inside that, inside the trash can, and it cuts down on the odor quite a bit. I only have them when I've just bought a new bag of food, but I notice a difference when I do. I scoop the litter box twice a day and pick up the yard daily. Your cats are doing what they're doing because there's just no more room to "go" in their litter box. Mine only do this when I've been out-of-town. Cats definitely do have a very high standard when it comes to litter box cleanliness, and they will let you know if they think the box needs cleaning. Plus, it's more hygienic to pick that stuff up as soon as possible. The longer it sits, the more germs it breeds (which is why I can't fathom the whole plastic container full of scooped poop sitting around...). You definitely want to pick it up while it's fresh.

Feeding them less was a good idea. Another alternative is to set up a second litter box.

Maybe trim Portia's back toenails? It takes them a while to get sharp again and the blunted ends might make a difference.

*groan* I was afraid of that when you told us about the bank not calling in your note... I was thinking "don't say it out loud!"

There are a lot of movies out on DVD now that I wanted to see. Thank God for Redbox. Now if I can just remember to start picking up a movie every week when I'm getting groceries...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the "throwing poop in the trash" issue comes up for me, too. We only have trash pickup on Fridays, which sucks. I've moved my big trash bin as far from my house as is possible, so I never notice the smell out there. I can't imagine having a "bin of poop" in the house, either! I guess that's a good idea for some people, Jen, but yeah, not for me, either. Ick.

Gremlin is the worst... he makes a mess in the litterbox! He poops up against the wall of the box (both of mine are covered, thank God) and then really mashes around everything else. It's disgusting. It's like it's a game to him. Simon, on the other hand, is very neat and doesn't hang out in the litterbox longer than is absolutely necessary. I sure hope Gremlin catches on, soon, because it's like a fecal crime scene in there every time I lift that lid on his box to clean it. Yuck.

(Somehow, picking up dog poop in the yard isn't nearly as awful as litterboxes can be! Know what I mean?)

TonjiaT said...

I have been told that this year is the worst year on record for pollen. Our dogs are all digging themselves raw and our basset went to the vet today with an infection on the end of his nose and muzzle from rubbing it on the ground/grass/floor because of the itching. Sounds like your kitties are having the same problem. can cats take Benadryl?

I LOVED the HP2 movie. I think it was the best of all of them. I want to see it again..

Money problems seem to be psychic, when you cant afford one more thing, something else comes up. Hang in there, it has to get better! hugs!

RADgirl said...

re: the hospital bills. Ask for a 'compassionate care' form. It's a form that you can complete to help off-set the cost of medical bills. If the hospital you went to is a non-profit, they should offer this to you. Otherwise, appeal your ass off with the insurance company. Good luck!